A Random Image
Jul
25

George Street reopened after fire at Courtyard Restaurant

OTTAWA — George Street has reopened after a fire at the Courtyard Restaurant forced police to close a section at lunch time Thursday.

Staff and customers at the ByWard Market restaurant, at 21 George St., were forced out just before 12 p.m. when a fire broke out in the ventilation unit in the kitchen on the main floor.

Six employees were working at the time, one of whom suffered minor smoke inhalation. He was treated by paramedics at the scene, and not taken to hospital. There were no other reports of injury.

The fire was under control at about 12:23 p.m. It was contained to the ventilation area between the first and second floors of the restaurant. Ten customers were outside in the courtyard at the time.

The kitchen suffered smoke and some water damage. Fire spokesman Marc Messier estimated the damage at $250,000. It was not known how long the restaurant would be closed.

Twelve rigs and about 35 firefighters attended the scene. Dozens of people on their lunch breaks watched as firefighters cooled off under nearby trees.

The street was reopened shortly before 2 p.m.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Update+George+Street+reopened+after+fire+Courtyard+Restaurant/3309602/story.html#ixzz0uiRX1yrY

This is a single weblog entry, posted on July 25th, 2010. Comment here »

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *