Garlic Scape Pesto
Makes about 1 cup
10 garlic scapes, chopped
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup pine nuts, almonds or walnuts
3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Sea salt and white pepper to taste
- Put all the ingredients (but just half of the oil) in the bowl of a food processor.
- Chop, blend and then drizzle the remainder of the oil.
- If you like the texture, stop; if you’d like it a little thinner, add some more oil.
- Blend until the pesto is a brilliant green color and smooth in texture.
- Season with sea salt and white pepper.
- Enjoy with fresh pasta, chicken, eggs or your favourite dish.
- If you’re not going to use the pesto immediately, press a piece of plastic against the surface to keep it from oxidizing.
- The pesto can be stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days.
- It can also be frozen for a couple of months. I like putting it in an ice cube tray.
Total preparation time: 20 minutes